Thursday, May 19, 2016

I'm back, and going Chrome!

First off, I would like to apologize for the lack of blogs. Moving into a new house, teaching a new school, and all that goes with it made the blog on the back burner. Also, the fact my new school is not 1 to 1 yet, the motivation and passion for 1 to 1 technology has been a little lower than it has been in the past. BUT GOOD NEWS! I am back! We have 4 more school days left, my finals are written, my kiddos are ready, and all I have to do is put those Scrantons in the machine, and upload those puppies into the gradebook, and I am ready for summer!

Now, the second part of the title of the blog. Going Chrome. Yesterday at our teacher's meeting, we were told about my school's 1 to 1 initiative. Our students are expected to be 1 to 1 in the high school by 2018, and a few more pilot programs will be implemented next school (of course I applied! Spent a Saturday making the movie.). Anyways, all the teachers in the corporation received a Chromebook to play around on for the summer. I love this. The best way to implement a technology tool in the classroom, is to get in into the hands of the teacher first.

Reason why, is because the teacher's are going to have to put on yet another hat once 1 to 1 is implemented. Even though my student's are very technologically savvy (they taught me how to use snapchat), they don't understand how to submit homework, and do actual schoolwork on the devices. Not their fault, and no they aren't stupid, they just  aren't used to that type of school culture. It's just like how I had to train my current students to put their worksheet in the set of drawers in the back of my classroom.

The past two days I have been playing around on this Chromebook, and I have so many great ideas and new things I want to try on here. I have already been making a lesson on SymbalooEDU, and looking into Chromebook apps. I'll be posting more on my discoveries I come across in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment