Thursday, August 20, 2015

It's a Kahoot!

Last school year when I was introduced to Kahoot, I thought to myself, “Sweet! an individual jeopardy!” I used it for a review in all of my classes, but I found that students towards the end of the school year when I was reviewing for finals, they were getting “Kahoot-ed” out. 

I wanted to figured out more ways to use Kahoot in my classroom than just a review game. I wanted to bring it into instruction.  I came up with 3 ways, that are very successful.


  • Discussion after a reading the text.
    • When you assign a reading to students to read at home, how do you know if they read and understand the reading? Often we quiz students the morning after, and then lecture. Why don’t we quiz and lecture at the same time? By playing Kahoot you are getting feedback on concepts over the reading. And because of this, you know what you need to discuss/explain more. It also brings every student into the conversation in some way.

  • True/False Pretest/Pre-lesson
    • Ever have a time when you can’t get students motivated for a lesson? I need to teach safety to my Agriculture, Power, Structure, and Technology, and students typically grown when I start the lesson. I started playing a true/false Kahoot before class with accidents, safety tips, etc. The momentum from the game of Kahoot keeps them going for the rest of the lesson.

  • Ghost Mode!
    • In the winter of last school year Kahoot came out with ghost mode. Ghost mode is where the students play once, then play again against themselves. I use ghost mode in my classroom by having the students play at the beginning of the class period, teach the lesson, then try to beat themselves in ghost mode at the end. Students think it’s fun to see improvement from the beginning of class to the end.
Students can play against themselves in ghost mode!

No comments:

Post a Comment